Porth Community School takes children from the age of three to sixteen years old.
At the beginning of the academic year there were 1140 places available in the school. Of these places 330 were allocated for children aged 3-11 and 810 places for children aged 11-16.
The school is maintained by Rhondda Cynon Taf Education Authority and managed by the Governing Body. The Admissions Authority for the school is Rhondda Cynon Taf Council.
The school has a designated catchment area and most parents choose to send their child(ren) to their ‘local’ schools in this catchment area. Parents, however, do have a right to state a preference for their child to attend any school within or outside of their local catchment area.
The LA is responsible for pupil admissions to the school and parents and carers must apply directly to them. View further information and apply for a school place online.
In line with equal opportunities, academic ability, special needs and criteria other than those listed below are not taken into account.
If there are more applications than there are places available, the local authority will grant places according to the Welsh Assembly Government – approved priorities, detailed below:
- Category 1: (Top priority): Children who are looked after by the local authority.
- Category 2: Children who live within the catchment, with brothers or sisters (siblings) already in the school (in the year applied for).
- Category 3: Children who live within the catchment, without siblings already in the school.
- Category 4: Children who live outside the catchment, with siblings already in the school.
- Category 5: Children who live outside the catchment, without siblings already in the school.
Where several children within the same category are competing for a smaller number of places, the distance between the child’s home and the school will be used as the deciding factor.
Visiting the school
Choosing the right school for your child is incredibly important and we would encourage you and your child(ren) to visit us.
This will give you an opportunity to meet with staff and sample the working atmosphere of the school to help inform your decision.
Visits can be arranged by contacting the school to make an appointment. Our Open Evenings also provide further information and a flavour of the school.